28 February 2009

PAS DE DEUX WITH THE TERPSICHOREAN UNIVERSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIZdjT1472Y

In this deeply existential song, Human (video link above; lyrics below), by The Killers, with its stirring querying of the meaning of human life, the ultimate question it asks is whether we are merely human or whether we are also dancers, participants in the larger context, the Great Dance of the Universe.

It asks whether humans exist as no more than individuated life forms, scheduled to live out a short existence here on Earth with no eternal prospects after we "cut the cord." Or, whether as humans we are active, ensouled bodies dancing in the Great Recital of the Universe.

We live all-too-brief life spans as individuated life forms, as humans who ask existential questions looking for ultimate, meaningful answers. The lyrics say, "I'm on my knees looking for the answer," but "there is no message we're receiving." This indicates humans exist in an unfathomable universe in which we live as "nervous" beings, with "cold hands" who must assume responsibility for acts of free will as we question our very existence.

At moments in our individuated lives, the lyrics say, we "see an open door" to the Beyond, in which at the last moment of life, "when the call comes" and we are on "the platform" ready for the final take off, we "clear our hearts," kindly acquiesce and "surrender" in a final leap of faith.

The lyrics say humans leave behind grace, virtue, good, soul, romance, devotion--the things that make us distinctly human, but we participate in a larger show, that of being Dancers in the Great Dance of the terpsichorean Universe, the "home" of which we dream.

Notice the band (in the official video) performs in a nonbiological mise-en-scene of nonhuman life forms. The tiger and lion signify the Universe-as-predator on individuated human lives; the vulture signifies death, our absorption into the Great Beyond. The band at the end gazes out beyond Earth, beyond individuated human life, to that open door.

The answer to the plaintive, existential question of whether we exist as humans or as dancers is that we, in essence, exist as both. In truth, we are embodied souls living within the greater OverSoul, the Atma.

The task, then, is disremembering the existential questions--plenty of that anon--and dance now in unfettered pas de deux with the embracing Universe. This song, by The Killers, provides some fullness-of-faith moments in which we can do just that.

Human

by The Killers

I did my best to notice
When the call came down the line
Up to the platform of surrender
I was brought but I was kind

And sometimes I get nervous
When I see an open door
Close your eyes, clear your heart
Cut the cord

Are we human or are we dancers?
My sign is vital, my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human or are we dancers?

Pay my respects to grace and virtue
Send my condolences to good
Give my regards to soul and romance
They always did the best they could

And so long to devotion
You taught me everything I know
Wave goodbye, wish me well
You've gotta let me go

Are we human or are we dancers?
My sign is vital, my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human or are we dancers?

Will your system be alright
When you dream of home tonight?
There is no message we're receiving
Let me know, is your heart still beating?

Are we human or are we dancers?
My sign is vital, my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer

You've gotta let me know
Are we human or are we dancers?
My sign is vital, my hands are cold
And I'm on my knees looking for the answer
Are we human or are we dancers?

Are we human or are we dancers?
Are we human or are we dancers?

No comments: