21 July 2008

REMEMBRANCE OF FILIAL FROST

It certainly was cathartic for me tonight to think about my parents and what was hoary history (World War II) to me growing up in the 1950s. I thought little back then about the German officer's field binoculars that my dad brought back from the ancient war and which I destroyed to see how they worked. (I now have the prisms perched on my window sill and a poem I wrote.) And, I thought nothing about the broken piece of purplish, marble paving stone--now sadly lost--that dad said was collected from a strange-sounding place called Berchtesgaden, and on which Herr Hitler could have watched Bavarian village children perform their folk dances. (I did write a blog about it.)

What I do think about is how much I NOW (is it too late?) love my parents, notwithstanding their imperfections. I take that back: my mom was nearly angelic, so much so that I couldn't much relate to her anchoritic, ethereal otherworldliness. In contradistinction, my dad's all-too-obvious earthly flaws were a source of considerable irritation. We did not speak for a full decade.


But, guess who I miss the most? My dad, by far. And, it should be obvious who I probably hurt the most. I recently wrote a note to myself--in an autodidactic fit--about my peevishly informing him he was dying, after I realized no one else in the family had bothered to tell him. I realize now I was existentially vexed at that moment, both that he was soon to leave and that I was incapable of communicating little except an egocentric and irked passing on of cold medical information. I had only past communication style to fall back on.

Imagine how much I would like to retrieve that moment to rectify my lack of filial humaneness. I now finally know what I would like to say.

No comments: